Total Pageviews

Tuesday 5 July 2011

RCA Show 2011: The Sequel

Wow! Where has the time gone since last Tuesday!? I'm trying to think of exciting reasons why I haven't found the time to bring you the sequel to my fabulous trip to the RCA Show - but that would just be working full time! It's not all been 9-5 office work though. This weekend saw me being involved with an exciting Back to School shoot which included 14 children, a big yellow American school bus and a lot of drama - all of which I plan to reveal very soon. In the meantime though, here are my other two highlights from this year's RCA graduates (as promised.)

'I can't seem to get rid of horses' says Birgit Marie Schmidt with her repetitious, gold cast jewellery designs. Based around the concept of nostalgic childhood fantasies and the recurring nature of these - what drew me to Schmidt's work was the sentimentality behind it. Not only do the interconnecting objects work harmoniously together - they really do hold a narrative which each of us can relate to...


www.birgitmarieschmidt.co.uk

Moving away from simple elegance though... I have saved my personal favourite until last.



Inspired by 'traditional Sami costume decoration' - Emma Lundgren embraces her Swedish roots with unexpected colour compositions and disjointed patterns capturing the random nature of Lapland's 'Northern Lights.' From two dimensional printed surfaces to laser cut perspex - Lundgren embraces mixed media & ensures that unconventional materials work together throughout her collection. Juxtaposition seems to be another key concept with tough, industrial fabrics given a feminine touch with the heavy use of floral motifs and organic undulating edges. To say this Textile Designer is experimental is an understatement for it's not often you see so many techniques combined with such an innovative use of colour. Personally, this collection just makes me happy! x


http://emmalundgren.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment