Total Pageviews

Wednesday 1 June 2011

Velvet Vintage

Brighton rocks! Well, it does when it comes to independent boutiques; vintage stalls & crafts.

Walking along the sea front on a beyond blustery day, I have to say that seeing Brighton Pier emerge in the distance filled me with about as much excitement as Blackpool tower. Having imagined Southern seasides to be idyllic, quaint resorts - as opposed to rowdy, slot machine-lined promenades selling novelty rock English breakfasts and dummies, I'd expected a little more from the famed Sussex hotspot...

That was until I stumbled upon The Lanes.

From stalls selling homemade leather goods to organic cafes offering wholesomely good shakes and grub - the atmosphere completely changed within walking a few metres. A festival vibe filled the cobbled streets: an 'anything goes' spirit which encouraged people watching as a standard bank holiday activity.







Of course, one particular store stood out to me though and this time it began with a V. Entrancing me with its lavish window display - I was in awe of Velvet's fabulous combinations of silk flowers alongside appliqued owl door stops and Chinese style lanterns. Naturally, the heavy use of floral motifs in all shapes and sizes may have had something to do with my love for this store but it deserves a mention nonetheless. x

No comments:

Post a Comment